Thursday, October 26, 2006
Manglish, anyone?
Prejudice is about to happen. Here how it goes.

Well, it is natural way of how languages are form. That is if you study linguistic properly and it is nothing to be ashamed of and don’t get the guilt just because some of the hypocrite people criticize you for not speaking "proper English".
You can tell these hypocrites to walk the talk and speak proper heavy British accent. Don’t they know there are weird English accents like Texas and NZ accents? Even in UK there are varieties of English as well.

Bias is underway. (This is so not TOK of me)

Come on, this is Malaysia and not of any Anglophone countries!

Just watch one of the episodes of Phua Chu Kang where he pretends to speak perfect British accented English and see how fake and hypocrite he looks. Very un’Singaporean’ and imitating. Language is for communication. Don’t use it as a show-off to make yourself look swanky and posh. Yes, we should speak with proper grammar but not speaking in an unnatural manner.

My previous English teacher strictly discourage the usage of Manglish. She supposed "We are learning British English, so speak English in British way.” American English is also discouraged as well. Converse-wise, I think Manglish indeed is simple, short, concise, straight-to-the-point, effective etc, but indisputably it's a bit rude. But I still like the way it is that I said to myself, too bad we can never use Manglish in English test or any MOE administered test. Or else, syok wo!

So as Malaysian, it is our identity to be what we are. I’ve experienced how a foreigner tried so hard to speak like us when asking for direction.

Learn proper Manglish here and be a true Malaysian.

P.S. I did struggle myself to fine-tune my brain to converse in Manglish just to steer clear of being tagged as 'unnatural', 'fake', 'unMalaysian' in my TOK class.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 2:15 am | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 29 October, 2006 12:40, Anonymous Anonymous

    i adapt.
    when i'm with my canadian lect i adopt lenggok american skit
    when among my chinese friends, i speak chinese accented english
    .
    hows tht for hypocrisy

     
  • At 14 December, 2006 17:50, Anonymous Anonymous

    bagusnya kamu..saya berfikiran yang sama.. :)