Monday, March 12, 2007
Seluruh England Kita Punya!

I was screaming in ecstasy, and it was a Malaysian sports at its best. But it was not from my darling sport of football, but from a game I can hardly play, badminton (The last time I played badminton was about a month ago when Badminton Club organized a one-day tourney and I participating in doubles, with Adi Azmin, who is an avid basketballer – we brought sports intergration on that day where I was all in my football suit with college jersey on and he was in his basketball suit – at the end, we found ourselves the tournament’s most cheered team albeit we lost our first game straight set).

And it was a humble double tag team who was there to deliver. All England is ours again, after 25 years of silverware draughts from the doubles. The last time we clinched the All England silverware was the time when the Sidek brothers was at their peak of the game. They were all untouched back then. Soon after they announced their day, we struggled to find their successors. Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock came close to seek for replacement of the Banting heroes. And they match in quite perfectly during their days, with some medals around their neck each time their ended up a tourney. But for a dreamy Malaysian like me, medals are not enough. We have to secure the pride to go with it, but with a very humble manner. With the emergence of this new hotshot in Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong, I don’t believe in the world rankings. Anyone standing in their way was crushed to pieces and that makes me all excited that a very humble doubles were not saying a word before and after the game, unlike any others, but let the game do the talking. And to see them coming back home with silverware in their hands, was truly a dream of all Malaysians.

All hail Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong. Legend has been made.

P.S. And I quietly grabbed my racquet and imitated Tan Boon Heong winning taunt in front of my room’s mirror. Ha ha.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 11:26 pm | Permalink |


1 Comments: