Friday, June 06, 2008
BT-end

It costs me MCOBA Futsal – which my batch team ran ragged winning the grand title, our first time and against all odds, including Erare surprisingly grow to be the top scorer.

Yes, I just got back from the compulsory 5-days camp, a Kursus Kenegaraan as the penghulu would say, organized by Biro Tatanegara. It is made compulsory for all open minded Malaysian students who are going to spend taxpayers money to attend – to be brainwashed as a way to instill instant patriotism and to infuse the pro-government ideology in the minds of a group of people whom probably smarter than them.

As a way to prepare myself from any unexpected clutter and confusing mess during the course, I guided myself through the BTN website to find out what the course is all about, few days beforehand. I was particularly dumbfounded in the bureau aptitude in designing the module, which I described as holistic, provided every area of how to be a good Malaysian is clearly pointed out in the arrangement of agenda. It’s long winded (as always) objectives noticeably call every attention to advocate development efforts by the government, as well as to understand the intricacy of utilitarian principle and social ethical conduct. I was excited actually, knowing how elaborated this course would be, albeit many negative impressions surround it even before I received the course letter.

I was lucky to be placed at Kem Bina Negara Lipis, obviously not because the place homes the birthplace of Najib Tun Razak and Siti Nurhaliza. It is new and I was privileged to be among the first to use the camp, and surely not the last to complain about the quality of the place. Simply put, while it may sound cliché for a camp to have water problems, I can never tolerate electric connection problem – when I woke up as early as 5 in the morning only to find myself in confusion whether I just got back from a futsal session or something, provided the amount of sweat formed.


Alah manja la kau. Peluh sikit pun tak
boleh.

Sikit kepala bapak kau. Anyway, the food was superb. I was served as much as 6 times a day, to which I was anticipating a weight gain. As always, metabolism said no. In addition, thanks to Amir Tan’s strict diet policy and my group mates’ kesederhanaan dalam pemakanan, I was blessed with bigger portion. Terbaik.

I was told that it is precisely the same module used even if your camp is located in Suria KLCC or St. Jakob Park, Switzerland.

Four speakers were invited to cover four sessions of 8 hours lecture – and 8 group activities were carried out before 4 books were given to be read within the space of 3 nights as preparing ourselves for the exam. The thickness is equivalent to height of rice I scooped every meal session.

Being naïve (failing the course means shattering the whole studying overseas dream), the speakers, as well as the selected line of facilitators were given undisputed autonomy to insult and malign the idea of human rights, especially among the non-bumiputera. The take home message is simply put as breathing the air in this country necessitate a huge dispensation from the Malays. The idea is simple, shut up and put up, or get lost, which mean failing the course. So along the way, we have to spare our thoughts and agree of any provocations imposed.

The highlight of the course, as least for me, was not the lousy and easy peasy physiological test, but the group activities covering on the issue of politics and racial issue in this country. We were told by the facilitators to speak up, even though the matter is considered as taboo to be discussed explicitly. And it was my time to shine as well – especially the issue of social contract, racial discrimination and bloggers credibility were brought up. All this wild, blind shooting by them, together with nasty provocation has not been backed by evidence – maybe because it has been an accepted practice in our country not to question any claim, no matter how unintelligent or far-fetched, as long as it is done on behalf of bangsa, agama dan negara.

Personally, I have nothing against any facilitators or any people in the bureau, as they are designed to be like that and I just hope they can step out of the comfort zone and speak up for themselves, and not because of the module said so.

Enough said.

But there are things that I just could not disagree, in fact, I feel more proud of being a Malaysian when matters like the achievements and sovereignty of the country were put on the table. While I built up nice close relationships with other course-mates, the course actually did help me in refreshing my understanding about this country. Am I becoming more patriotic? The answer is definitely yes.

Menara Bangsa Akan Kita Bina,
Perkasa Tiada Rebah Lagi.

All in all, the mind boggling nature of the course which put my stand and judgment on the line was indeed another lesson for me to find truth – and not just good food as consolation.

Anyway, though the personal feedback from the facilitators was not that convincing, I hope I’ll pass the course – and no phone calls from my sponsor as well.

P.S. Thanks Mior, for the picture. And for the delay as well.
 
posted by Izham Ismail at 7:58 pm | Permalink |


4 Comments: