Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Bukan Cinta Biasa
1996 is one of the best years of my life. Not only it was the year when I first met my first love, it was also the year when I attended Malaysia Cup final for the first time to see how Selangor clinched the ultimate title right in front of my kiddy eye. Astro was only for the privileged few, and we were so loyal to RTM during that time, hence Malaysian football scene was so alive back then.

I can still remember how Federal Highway was clogged with flagged cars and wild jubilant motorists leading their way to the once-celebrated Shah Alam Stadium. I couldn’t remember how my brother (who just got his driving license) dealt with the traffic situation – as I was busy looking on the madness on the road. Even modified lorries with kompang brigade was at hand joining the procession, and polis trafik could only smile to see us ran wild – its Malaysia Cup Final, the biggest night of the year! (after Hari Raya Eve, of course)

Anyway, Selangor was up against on-form Sabah, with Khairul Azman set to be the stronghold guardian and free-scoring Australian-born Scott Ollerenshaw was there to spoil our night. It was a fairly entertaining final and it is still fresh in my mind how balance the game was, and the ball was played everywhere across the pitch and both teams hold on to their winners card until the final minute. I was nervous. Everyone was nervous. The game went on to penalty shoot-out after an entertaining nil-nil end result. My man of the match was Mehmet Durakovic, a very glittering defender who spoils Scott Ollerenshaw’s night of fame. He is my favorite player in the team, and still is. How I wish to meet him one day.

But the name, Talib Sulaiman, is still fresh in my memory - he slotted in the last penalty to mark another glorious day in Selangor football history. Selangor, 1996 Malaysia Cup champion.

I screamed and hugged my brother as if he was my friend. The crowd stood up and cheered as our starlets climbed onto the stage to lift the undisputed Malaysian Cup crown.

For almost a week, I was overwhelmed. I would read anything about Selangor on the news. As usual, things like how proud and happy the Sultan was and promised land and rewards for the players was everywhere across Utusan Malaysia (the only broadsheet I accept as true then). It was crazy.

(Coffee break)

And just a year after, Selangor did it again. And this time, they were pitting for the title against Pahang in the final. Almost in a much familiar fashion, the game ended nil-nil inside 90 minutes. But came Christopher Kiwomya, the RM5mil man, to score a wonderful sudden-death goal to keep the title at Shah Alam. It was a deja-vu.

But the night doesn’t end that ordinary way for me. This is what you get when the Vice-President of Selangor FA is your dad bestfriend.

Exclusive post-match changing room tour – where the hero Christopher Kiwomya, fresh after being chased by the media, was only inches away from me.


CK: What is your name?
II: Izham, call me Am.
CK: You play goalie?
II: No, I play midfield.

Apa apa lah Kiwomya oi. Aku nak ambil gambar je.

Straight after, my dream comes true. Picture speaks louder than words.



Yes, he is Mehmet Durakovic, my Selangor all-time favorite player. Obviously, he is the white one.

Very nice to meet you.

I should have said that. Biasalah kecik-kecik dulu, lagi lagi nak sembang dengan Orang Puteh. Cuwak woi!

Oh yes, on the left is current Pahang FA head coach and perhaps one of the best Malaysian footballer, Zainal Abidin Hassan – and one of the reason why I dress in the number 17.

But then again, it was 12 years ago, and that is how I celebrated the marvelous Malaysia Cup fiesta.

So Malaysia Cup will kick off tonight, with Selangor set to entertain Terengganu in the first match. Though the quality would make it unthinkable to compare with overrated EURO 2008, Malaysia Cup is a romantic fixture for me. So don’t blame me if I don’t have a clue what is happening in the so called biggest football tournament in Europe (which I think is an overstatement, as it is actually Champions League).

I hope this time around, I can relive the moment Selangor gave to me 12 years ago. I am looking forward to see them in the final, yet again. All the best, Merah Kuning.

1st January 2008 - with the people I spent my new year. Unfortunately, Selangor lost to Perlis. Ah peduli apa.

Anyway, click
here for complete schedule and check your birth certificate if you don’t know which team to cheer. I am sure Holland, Italy, France or Germany etc is nowhere written in it.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 5:18 pm | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 12 June, 2008 12:19, Blogger Amirul Hafidz

    Haha. A very classic post. The final match against Sabah, was it the one in which Khairul Azman saved a penalty kick in the regular time? Deadlock all the way to the final whistle, my mom even suggested that maybe the Sabahans used 'bomoh Borneo' to prevent Selangor from scoring. Haha.

    I was there in the Shah Alam Stadium when Selangor won against Pahang. But I don't remember much about the match, except of course the golden gold by Kiwomya. It was a brilliant moment, the crowd burst into delirium. I doubt we can ever watch such scene again, supporters shouting their hearts out, cheering for their favourite team. That was all before the influx of EPL, Spanish Primera Liga, etc.

    I remember playing FIFA '98 (or '99, maybe even '97, I simply can't tell) on PC a few years later and saw Kiwomya's name on Arsenal's reserve team. What a sense of jubilation I felt having watched this man live in action back then. I'm pretty sure you had a stronger sense of admiration, since you had the chance to meet him in person.

    Our football scene needs more people like you, enough said.

     
  • At 12 June, 2008 23:19, Blogger Izham Ismail

    haha and your house is just a stone throw away from the stadium isn't it? indeed it was one of the best moment of my life, and how i miss the time when EPL, Spanish Primera Liga were nowhere near to contaminate our scene.

    fair enough, the scene actually needs all of us, the fans, the twelfth men on the pitch, whom should be 'playing' alongside our players. only then we can have the advantage, isn't it?

     
  • At 22 June, 2008 01:50, Blogger sillybillyinibini

    oohh am! is that really you? u look so innocent masa kecik2 dulu. unlike now! sekarang ni muka kejam gile!