Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Asah Siasah Sebelum Belasah
It was an unfamiliar ambiance in the air of NZ Curry House tonight. I felt no particular sense of delight in the presence of hundreds other football enthusiasts looking for some footie action live, or delayed telecast. Everything seems to be gloomy and the setting was dead serious – even the mamaks were working way out of tune by making awful mixture of national drink teh tarik, and soggy tauhu bakar added to the night’s weird disorder.

The crowd was way too strange for me, as if I was in the wrong place. The place I called home turned out to be somewhere too uncanny and unfamiliar to me. My idea of sitting next to a group of people wearing the colour of their team, chanting in unison of their favorite star and jeering of any unsportsmanlike behavior shown on the pitch were crashed to pieces.

Not until I realized that the place was contaminated – by a LCD projected screen featuring live telecast of an open debate between two prominent Malaysian politicians, thrashed each others out over a so called central issue in Malaysia’s rickety economic development. My abode of live football has now been contaminated by an ugly yet important force of politics, in the form of a live political debate telecast. There were actually no football enthusiasts tonight.

I am not going to take on the debated issue – at least for now – but more towards the attitude of our people, which is quick in resembling a bone of contention to my eyes.

There were still cheering, chanting and jeering all over the place – and most of them were sadly misplaced. They cheered for something they themselves couldn’t even clarify and they jeered for some unclear, cheap and blurry details.

At any rate, however, there seem to be people in the world who like to judge who has the right to complain - or really, to speak at all - and who does not. So what makes a person eligible for those privileges? My say, audacity to stand behind their words or in simple English, responsible of what they have said.

It is patent that improvements start with complaints. Just because things could be worse sometimes doesn't mean they couldn't be better – and that is why solutions should be clipped together with it. It happened to me all the time, when I often cross over heated discussions between some friends of mine, whom bother to grumble more about their hitches than taking proper labors to get to the bottom of it.

I am not going to wrap this post saying that showing your eagerness towards keeping yourself updated with interesting current Malaysian politics is superfluous and act of futility – as a matter of fact, it is good to be politically aware in this crucial state of time. But eagerness should come with knowledge and understanding of the matter – and there is no point of shooting without any targets and don’t have any idea of what your bullet is made of.

That is why supporting your football team is an easier deal - it only takes 90 minutes to settle any argument.


I hope NZ will recover this coming August, as the real deal is coming home. EPL will be back to mamak stalls nationwide. Check your local listing.

Ah politics, please don’t get me started.


Gambar masa itu hari aku berlagak macam Dato' drive around Putrajaya. Sekali buka wallet duit sepuluh ringgit ada dua keping je.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 1:48 am | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 16 July, 2008 22:10, Blogger Ezlan mohsen

    Last night, KMBian was very eager to watch the live telecast of the debate, as eager as we eat when RASHID TOMYAM finally arrived.

    Saw that, I almost decided to change my perception towards KMBians although half-heartedly. When I finally got to watch the delayed telecast (got some paintball thing), I stopped my 'niat yang suci murni itu). KMBian will always be KMBian. They critized aimlessly, Laugh unexpectedly, and clap stupidly, just like you mentioned down here.

    I let it be. Atleast they were there in the TV room watching, more than I expected. The 'cream' of Malaysian Students laa katakan. But I learned that there is a very big different between " watching and talking" and "watching and thinking". The 'cream' just love to do the former.

    p/s: Putrajaya ngan KMB itu sekangkang kera je awat x singgah noh.

     
  • At 22 July, 2008 21:05, Anonymous Anonymous

    will there be more of this kind of live debate i wonder.