Friday, August 15, 2008
Hari Ismail
Lu apa pasal angkat kening.

I went to watch Ismail The Last Days last night. By right I wasn’t entitled for a student priced ticket, as my college days were over – and my ID was incised very neatly using a scissor when I was signing out from the college, a very ironic yet cumbersome way to end my days studying there, while chunking quite a hefty privilege I had of being a student when everything is quite cheaper when you have a student ID.

Malay College saved the day, as I used my Malay College ID instead – and for sure, with pictures of me sikat rambut belah tengah and yes, facial hair free.
And with RM20 and extra RM5 for nasi lemak Kelab Sultan Sulaiman Kg Baru, I’m in.

That is just another reason to hate my previous college.

Well the show was fine, except for some stretched out redundant storyline, with some flaw in the actors’ delivery and diction – where some real Malaysian essence I was looking for was nowhere to be found, missing.

Tiny little details on the accent and deep understanding about the relationship of the people of Malaya in 1940s should really be taken into account, just so to make it more real and authentic – not just another raw and experimental piece of musical.

Kudos to the musicians, for live music, and brilliant piece of arrangement, which was essential in building up the mood and was quick to draw my attention back to the play when I was computing about the depth of the lyric, and set me free on the flight of imagination, especially the part when Tun Dr Ismail was reluctant whether to take care of his wife and family or to commit himself to the country.

Though the play was not entirely a true account of once an acting Prime Minister of Malaysia, it was sufficient to tell quite a whole chunk of the live of a great hero of this country.

I think I’ve learnt so much from this doctor turned politician, whom Robert Kuok regards as the most non-racial Malay man in the history of the nation.

Thanks, Tun Dr Ismail.

What is more, he shares the same forename with my father, my ayah who celebrates his birthday today.


He is my ayah, a person credited to any of my greatness, and a person who is there to empower my limitations.

You can never be concise if you are writing about your dearest father, and I know to honor him in a blog post is never enough to show your respect and high regard to him. And all I can say is, he’s my man.
You are forever in my heart, not just in my blog's address.
Happy Birthday Ayah.

I am proud to be an Ismail.
Kasi turun lu punya kening sekarang.
 
posted by Izham Ismail at 6:44 pm | Permalink |


7 Comments: