Tuesday, September 30, 2008
SuRaya

(Title – A standard and expired joke when people asked me what is my favourite raya song)

(To be read in pantun intonation, and emphasize wherever appropriate - especially in the word 'hai' - all to respect the authenticity of this great Malay poetic form) Sedap dilihat hai sayang cik lemang, sedap lagi hai dimakan sorang. Apa menarik di Aidil Fitri, apa lagi kalau tak makan di tengahari.

I thought I wouldn’t be updating, but here I am anyway, to say something hours before I bid yet another adieu to Ramadhan. Or maybe an excuse for a cheap commercial of Hari Raya wish.

I have to admit that fasting does tend to change my sleeping habits quite a lot, all to common of what being Malay is for some people. Of course, my diet as well,which confirmed that I have to hold on the thought of being a Randy Orton for a while.

Anyway, I’ve had an absorbing Ramadhan this year with turns of events, which had me thinking all month, although Ramadhan for me is typically slow as I anticipate the coming of Syawal.

To recap, I suppose my Ramadhan is better this time around. Well it does not have a fairy-tale like plot along the way but those hindrances and lessons were something more than ayam percik and murtabak on table for berbuka.

Ramadhan is an opportunity for me to stray off my mind of food and yeah, naked women in various positions and to stay away of dropping in and out of semi-consciousness to keep up with lessons of life, as the saying has it, you drink more when you are thirsty.

Thank you Allah for yet another opportunity. And those lessons as well.

Yeah, I hope you had a literally smashing and forthrightly absorbing Ramadhan as well to ponder.

With that, selamat datang Syawal and feel free to embrace me.

Ah yes, routinely just to play by the rule, to wish you readers Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Maaf Zahir Batin.

Rendang, a cuisine that I thought originated from Malaysia. Traditionally eaten during Hari Raya Aidilfitri, best served with lemang or ketupat, and Malaysians penchant or should I say, lust for food. Answers straight away on why we don’t give a damn where it came from.

P.S. I just received an SMS, the first raya wish in its kind this year moments ago. It writes ‘Selamat Hari Raya Izham Ismail!’. Short, but certainly better than long-winded unoriginal forwarded messages which you possibly receive due to sending error. Thanks anyway, if it does.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 3:18 am | Permalink |


12 Comments: