Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Hindustan Bukan Sekadar Stunt

I never really like Hindi movies - and it has nothing to do with its hardcore schmaltzy song-and-dance stereotype. Though I quite enjoy the beauty of its language and cultural grace, I never see myself as an avid follower of Hindi movies. 


I was surprised, and even now am, to know how Bollywood movies stretched its rage across the globe and grossed  an astonishing US$1.3 billion total revenues in 2002. I suppose quite a number of it comes from Malaysians, who seem to enjoy Hindi movies, 'Certa Hindustan' as we called it, very very much. 


Housewives stop cooking, sisters share pillow, siblings fight for space in front of telly, mothers abandon their children, children stop playing Pokemon cards, fathers camouflage under newspapers, and women for once stop to hate men - because its Saturday and Cerita Hindustan is on TV3.


I failed to catch all that hype. I don't even know whether Malaysians do that to watch Cerita Hindustan. 


True or not, I don't know. I never watched any of it. How bad or good could this socially-diminishing movies do to me? 


I don't know. I never watched any of it.


And so I downloaded one two days ago.


*


He is nothing like that of psychotic Dark Knight's foe - but he taught me something as brilliant as the Harlequin of Hate did.


He must always make people laugh and be happy, no matter how unhappy he is within. He loves and loses, but must always keep a smile on his face because his manager said, "The show must go on."

Who is he? Ask him and he would answer, "Mera Naam Joker." 

*

Member: Ah, apa cerita layan Cerita Hindustan? Budget lu faham lah. Tak samseng lah layan Amitabh Bachan. Sekarang zaman Johnny Depp tahu tak, Johnny Depp. 

sanza136: Alah lu tengok cerita orang putih pun ketagih subtitle, faham sangat lah tu.

M: Haha, cibai lu. Lu pun sama.

s: Nak malu apa. Lahir-lahir bapak gua azan se-pam, bukan kasi presidential winning speech.

M: Haha. So lepas ini apa? Dil To Pagal Hai? Chalte Chalte? Baadshah?

s: Hah lu layan juga rupanya ya.

M: Apa lu ingat gua samseng sangat ke.

s: Haha.

Sekitar perbualan dengan seorang member tengahari tadi di Yahoo! Messenger - semestinya tiada teh tarik, tumbuk meja dan acah-acah puji agak-agak dapat minum free.

*

I have no idea how other Hindi movies fare with Mera Naam Joker, but I guess it tells a lot about the quality of ideas these people have in making a movie, and I know there are Malaysian movie-makers out there who need not to be told what to produce, but to be supported to turn the ideas into films. Good luck guys.

Anyway, Thanks Joker. No, not you, Joker. You, Joker. Okay, you both. But this time, it's you, Joker. No, not you. You.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 12:59 am | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 18 November, 2008 07:39, Anonymous Anonymous

    hi this is nina. i dont think u know me but i've been following this blog for quite a while and i have to say, your blog rocks!!!! :D :D :D i have been thinking of setting up a blog myself, s u rily inspired me. so keep on inspiring me pleazeeee. :P

    regards,
    nina

     
  • At 18 November, 2008 11:08, Blogger Amirul Hafidz

    It's not surprising that two of my favourite and perhaps the best Malay movies I've watched so far are Cinta and Sepi, both from the same producer with Bollywood background.

    When I was small my favourite was Mr. India, thanks to my mom who was a loyal Bollywood fan. I'd suggest you to watch Kuch Kuch Hotta Hai & Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gam. The former removed me to tears each time I watched it.

     
  • At 18 November, 2008 13:15, Blogger amerhadiazmi

    Sivaji The Boss.

    Serious.

     
  • At 18 November, 2008 20:23, Blogger Ezlan mohsen

    ''Sekarang zaman Johnny Depp tahu tak, Johnny Depp.''

    Aku cam pernah dengar ayat lebeh kurang macam ayat nie.

    '' Sekarang ni orang 'dancing' xsin, dancing''

     
  • At 18 November, 2008 23:07, Anonymous Anonymous

    Om Shanti Om!!!!

     
  • At 19 November, 2008 23:23, Anonymous Anonymous

    agree with amirul hafidz, kabhi kushi kabhi gam is a good movie...Love Guru..lol...
    -org yg xknal ko sgt n ko xknal aku sgt-

     
  • At 24 November, 2008 16:14, Blogger merefoix

    Meera Nam Joker? We'd choose I Pagliacci anyday.