Sunday, November 30, 2008
Kisah Stadium Tepi Sungai


Riverside saw its first goalless draw for over two years as it ended all-square in 113th league meeting between the Boro and Newcastle United, thanks to Afonso Alves' Shukor Adan performance. I don't think he is a Brazilian - maybe some Filipino who speaks Portuguese. Tuncay Sanli was my man of the match, not because he is the number 17, but his flair was too good for Boro. He should have asked Rafa Benitez to sign him. 

Newcastle were hopeless as ever, and Michael Owen is now paying the price for leaving The Kop few years ago. I can never forgive him.

However, it was the best performance I've watched so far in a stadium. Razor sharp passes, slick movements and smooth technical display are almost non-existent if Shukor Adan is on the pitch. Thanks to Tuncay Sanli and Stewart Downing for this new experience.

I think there are only two persons in the world who never bother to support Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. 

One is Fahim Idrus, whom I know was a bit emotional when I texted him that Boro is playing this week - after long quietly supporting Middlesbrough while others were rooting for the Big Four - and got him a ticket to sit together with other 42,160 Boro fans, and one Liverpool fan.

And the other one is Aliff Adha, who thinks Newcastle United is the best team in the world. I wished he was there with me. 

Such a coincidence how both teams collided in my first ever Barclays Premier League match.

I walked home missing swearing in Bahasa Melayu. I bet Afonso Alves is now looking up a dictionary for the word 'pundek' - and so do few other Mat Salleh around me.

I walked home missing cheering with the rest of SSFCs and SelangorFCs - whom I knew their names in stadium not Facebook.

I walked home missing the people who stood as company when I was all alone watching football.

I walked home missing Stadium Shah Alam, the home of my football.
 
posted by Izham Ismail at 4:10 am | Permalink |


4 Comments: