Thursday, November 13, 2008
NottinghAM
(Notting Hill bukan di Nottingham, baru aku tahu - baru ingat nak usya Julia Roberts)

Football is a game with few certainties or definitive answers. 

That is why no one can explain how highly rated Brazil slumped in the recent World Cup. The same thing happened to France in 2002 when they didn’t even score and knocked out in the group stage after winning the previous cup.

I, myself, enjoy the glorious subjectivity – even if I am at the receiving end of it.

*

I traveled south to Nottingham last week. I have heard so much about the hype of Nottingham Games, even before I came. They say it is the biggest sporting event for Malaysians, some say bigger than Sukma.

Since 1985, the event brings Malaysians together, to uphold the Malaysia Boleh spirit, to make friends, to enjoy the authentic Malaysian culture and to feed hungry Malaysians with scrumptious traditional food.

I was there just to play football.

*

It takes about 4 hours to get there, so I had to make tracks at 4 in the morning. I couldn’t sightsee much from the bus, as it is obvious I should be sleeping at 4 in the morning. It was still dark to snap any pictures anyway, and I have to play football in 4 hours.

I played again for a team full of strangers, except for Syahmi who happens to be my team-mate back in the days when I played for Kolej MARA sorry I forgot the name. He was the one who pulled the string to squeeze me in the team, many thanks to him.

I am a bit sluggish and slow in developing relationship, so I was a bit quiet off the field all day. They speak in different frequency as mine, as none of them study Medicine and they have spent few years knowing each other in college. So it was quite hard to fit in. I didn’t know what type of joke would make them laugh.

When we played, I failed to remember that these people were strangers. We developed chemistry on the field and it seemed that I have known them for years. Unifying force in football just overwhelms me.

As the team consists of first-years, we were unknown to many. But among ourselves, we knew that we have the chance for at least a medal. I cannot agree more. I could see their passion for the game, and the passion to win the tournament. They have amazing talent and they know what they are doing – which makes me honored to be in the team.

*

Football is a game with few certainties or definitive answers. That is why no one can explain how highly rated Brazil slumped in the recent World Cup. The same thing happened to France in 2002 when they didn’t even score and knocked out in the group stage after winning the previous cup.

That is why we didn’t go through the second round and came home empty-handed although we were undefeated.

I never let myself drowned in self-pity ness when such things happened, but I feel bad for not playing a little more better, enough not to disappoint my highly passionate team-mates. I am so sorry, guys – I should have done better.

But they are all a fervent lot – as they have vowed to come back next year with renewed hope and better performance. They told each other about it, I don’t care if they don’t mean it, but I know they don’t want to feel bad about themselves and not just want to come back, but to win next year.

I, myself, would be happy to help.

Helmi, Ben, Azli, Hari, Surien, Deco and Syahmi – thanks for your time.

*

I am also glad to see some of my best friends who turned up and also glad to make some new ones. Sorry if I couldn’t spend much time with you guys as I had to catch a bus for that 4 hour trip back home. Okay, you guys don’t even care, but if you do, sorry.

Medal tak dapat, number phone member baru pun okay lah.

Football and friends, one hell of an ingredient.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 10:50 pm | Permalink |


7 Comments: