Friday, March 20, 2009
Easter, Estadio and Me
So I kissed another term goodbye. Like the previous one, the term has been eventful and ended in a most horrific way imaginable - two assignments due on the very last day of the term. Total up a staggering 5000 words, my medically challenged mind were dragged to write until the last bit. Few clicks then confirmed that I won't see any of them again, at least for this year. 


No, never complain when you live the life you asked for. You will be damned by promises made before you even started, and the money you ran off with from Malaysian people to continue your study.


Both Selangor and Liverpool are doing well, one leading the league and the other running about cutting big clubs down to size. 


Suddenly, some people are back to fill the empty seats of Stadium Shah Alam. I have to agree that Stadium Shah Alam is not the best as far as the attendance is concerned, though in capacity, it is bigger than all Premier League big four's. 


Our very own 'Wembley' in Stadium Bukit Jalil is wiped out before the battle of the stadiums even started. 


Top of my list is the humble Stadium Darul Aman, smoked out on the northern soil, few hundred miles away from the debt-laden ninth biggest stadium in the world of Bukit Jalil National Stadium. 


Packed with people who speaks beautiful northern-accent whom would make it a point to be there at the stadium rain or shine,  Stadium Darul Aman effortlessly pride itself as Anfield equivalent in my book. 


'Biar Jasa Jadi Kenangan' makes it more obvious that lively football tradition should be unearthed to create a sense of belonging that will keep people coming back to cheer at the stadium. Though I am in no way entitled to sing the song, although some parts of me have Kedah as its origin, I secretly know the song by heart - and was closed to sing the song together with zealous Kedah supporters when Fadly Baharum sealed the FA Cup deal for Kedah in Bukit Jalil.


Did I say Bukit Jalil? It was more like Alor Setar to me, looking at how poor Selangor fans fared. We were outnumbered easily that night. Even at kedai mamak when me and my friends had the ritual post-match tea.


People has to literally elbow their way to get a seat in Stadium Darul Aman and the belief that every seat in the stadium is a privilege really moves me. Stadium Darul Aman could be known as the only stadium where players can see people watching football if they go around in 360 degree.


I suppose the choice is entirely up to the fans to decide where their stadiums stand, and certainly, Kedah supporters made a brilliant job in raising Stadium Darul Aman's profile. And certainly, their efforts paid well, as the players thanked loyal supporters by winning three trophies in two consecutive seasons few years ago.


Malaysian football fans, not only Selangor fans, have to learn this lesson people up north has laid on the table.


This is what Malaysian football supporters have to have in mind, before pointing out what is the problem with our football scene. Often we are quick to put the blame on the management, as if we have no role to play and the future is entirely up to those in charge.


If Malaysian football is a family, the players are forgotten sons who put efforts day and out trying to impress the parents, but to no avail, they are hated by their parents for being underachievers. Do you hate your son for being stupid? 


I am just glad those people are back in Shah Alam, but a little bitter that it took ages for them to come back. Welcome back, anyway. The players need you. They need us.


Liverpool draw Chelsea in the quarter-final of UEFA Champions League, canceling Spanish Prime Minister's hope to see Liverpool battle Barcelona in the final. I'd settle for Liverpool-Manchester United final, to stretch football's biggest rivalry in the world's most prestigious club tournament.


The Premier League is rather an impossible task to catch, I have to admit, so Champions League will be enough to put smiles back on hungry Kops. Good luck, lads.


I'll be sitting my final exam this May, and expecting to see myself juggling books and notes every now and then for this two months. And yes, more football tournament interwoven. 


I am going to Cardiff, finally - if you know what I mean.


Books, more books, football and more football - what a way to spend my holiday.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 8:53 pm | Permalink |


5 Comments: