Sunday, May 17, 2009
Kamal

Here is something I've promised to do.


Today is 16th May 2009. I don't give any hoot about what is there supposed to be remembered on this day, other than a friend's birthday. 


He is Ahmad Kamal bin Zafrullah. I just call him Kamal. 


I know him since 1995 and we grew up together ever since. Together we played and appreciated football like any other middle-class kids that time. If not because of him, I might probably have found congkak and cartoons interesting instead.

We were in the same class, played football for school together, being corrupted prefects together, ran for house relay team together and above all, had been lepak mamak together for as long as I can remember.

He supports Chelsea and never been bothered to annoy me when The Blues made more marks than The Reds. 


It broke my heart when his family left Taman Permata. Anyway, it is funny that I can still remember his old house phone number, considering that it was used to be the number I would dial for football meeting every evening. 


My house used to be the video-game and indoor football dungeon, and I'd go to his house to ponteng sekolah agama to play barefooted badminton and football. Both our parents still don't know about this. 


He is very athletic in nature. He'd be the guy who would climb the tree if someone kicked the ball into the tall, sometimes spiky tree. I'd rather stay back and look from far, since I wouldn't be much of help given how inferior my physique was. Fair enough, and still is.


He can play in any given position, even between the post. I used to envy his shooting strength and hated myself for being small. We won the school's famous inter-class football competition and have not stop talking about it yet everytime we meet.


Now that he lives few miles away from Taman Permata, he is still making his rounds, driving all the way to meet us over teh tarik. 


He was the last guy I lepak mamak with before I left, and one of few guys who is always there to pick me up when I'm down, all secretly behind the scene.


He is one of few people I don't feel geli at all when he calls me 'bro'.


Nice knowing you. You are my prayer answered. Happy birthday, bro.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 4:09 am | Permalink |


11 Comments: