Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Hujantan
Kuala Lumpur is a funny little niche with peculiar range of weather fluctuations. One moment it could be the warmest place on the planet, and in few seconds roads became puddle.


I for one enjoy the reflection puddles make, because once in a while I have to look at myself in the eyes and wash myself all over from bad vibrations holding myself down, like beautiful rain does to the great city.


*


I've never seen that expensive film Avatar, neither the Oscar-winner The Hurt Locker. I am sure either one has its one unique perk to offer and to pick one piece of art over another just shows how inadequate the understanding and passion in arts among us.


We should not discriminate, and it can be quite distressing to learn that not only low-budget film win over the multi-million production could be a laugh for some lot, they stretched their thickness in recognizing the gender of the director, something even they don't have any options to choose from.


So I say no to Oscar, but yes to any movies that move the hearts of many. Good movies should be in the hearts of many, not in the form of gold-plated brittanium that could divide the world even more.


*


Stadium Shah Alam might be the only place that is unaffected by abrupt weather the Klang Valley comply with. I have missed few Selangor games due to some thick action of commitments, but when Faisol and Azlifaizal alerted me that the next game would be against Kedah, I just had to make myself available for a date.


Kedah and myself has a natural connection. Being the place where my mum was born and raised, the family developed huge influence with anything Kedahan, from food, accent and even some peculiar stance, like the way we receive guests and talk loudly over any eating sessions.


But when it comes to football, passion overthrows romantics.



Selangor-Kedah is a correspondence to Manchester United-Liverpool rivalry in England. I see Kedah has a steeper tendency to be Liverpool, owing to the fans whom I suppose the best in the country. They came early to the stadium, and sang the loud 'Biar Jasa Jadi Kenangan' few times before kick off, which easily reminded me of the deafening 'You'll Never Walk Alone' I once had the privilege to sing along at Anfield.


If they awarded goals for noise, Kedah would kick off with two goals up. Although not coming from Selangor, that is the thing I like about Malaysian football - it's not the best weather, stadium not totally full, but the pitch heaves with noise, hope and love for local football.



The crowd got bigger with my friends, the most number of friends I went out and watch football with. It was also the first time for Airil and Adzim coincidentally both in black, and also maybe for few others. They looked lost at first, but football is an accommodating game, you'll feel home in no time, and they did.


*


Recent statistics was in favour of Selangor, and as expected, Kedah ran into a storm at Stadium Shah Alam, and allowed Selangor to walk in four goals on top of three valuable points.


I expected some magic from the captain Amri Yahyah, but the one who excelled was Amirul Hadi Zainal. He scored twice past former national goalkeeper Helmi Eliza Alias. K. Devan has taken few steps on managerial ladder, and his ascent is timely for Selangor to clinch the title this season.


He didn't play Liew Kit Kong and deploy Amri Yahyah at the right position and the result, four goals against the Liverpool of Malaysia. Of course, I am not saying Selangor is akin to the red team from the Midlands.


But Kedah fans should be proud of themselves. Kedah might have lost three points, but the chants and roars coming from the amazing array of green-yellow colours of Kedah were just something special Selangor fans have to learn to have.


Thanks for the goals, at least Airil could jump around celebrating and loosen his first-timer bones up, not once but for four times.


No, it was five. Someone's goal was disallowed for offside.


Anyways, could not ask for anything better from Selangor. A good game with many touch of class. They have been working so hard and got what they deserve. Excellent stuff.


*


DUKE and NKVE combine nicely for a nice drive to Shah Alam from KL. There wasn't a real hassle, although the rain did worry me. But I still miss the charm Federal Highway has, although it could be unpleasant to drive on especially on rainy evenings.


But driving is always a pleasure when you have someone to talk to - like these two people.


Airil, on the left and Faisol, another special people I met in Kuala Kangsar.


I didn't park the car where I usually did, which is a good thing. More people are more open to the idea of flocking the stadium to watch football. Premier League plans to charge TV stations more next season with their new Premier League TV scheme, and with Liverpool dismal performance these days, I don't see why I can't get rid of Premier League from my life for good.


I guess it is a matter of time.


*


It drizzles outside as I write, just after Wigan sinked Liverpool at DW Stadium. Kuala Lumpur is crying with the Liverpool fans.


Maybe Rafa should make himself a puddle.


And as for me, I have some more work to do. See you lay-tah.


Hah nak try pronounce lah tu.

 
posted by Izham Ismail at 9:02 am | Permalink |


6 Comments: